Tuesday, October 5, 2010

"I've got the power"

Ladies and Gentleman, buckle your seat belts, find a comfy chair and maybe a snack, this is gonna be a long one.

I haven't updated in ages, mostly because I just couldn't find the words for the insane and amazing and emotional things that have been happening in my life in preparation for my departure so I'll start from the less recent and move to the most recent... prepare your life accordingly.

The New York Weekend:
I went to New York, I'm fairly certain that I mentioned I was going to do that. It was a long drive, but it gave me plenty of time to work on my Long Island accent and annoy my Mom. Overall, it was great to see everyone. Every time I go there I'm reminded how big a bummer it is that I don't get to see that part of my family as often because they really are fun people. We pretty much hung out and caught up which is exactly what I wanted to do since the rest of my life seems so rushed. The kiddo made me a card that i'm taking with me and can put on my wall upon my arrival to wherever i'm going. Goodbye was difficult, the most difficult one so far to be honest, but I'm so glad that I got to see them before I leave!



The Baltimore Weekend:
So a friend of mine convinced me to extend my weekend a bit so we could tour around Philadelphia, I thought it was a good idea since all i've seen is the airport and thought it might help to land in a city that I have good memories in. Here's the abridged version: We went to Philly, had cheesesteak, saw the liberty bell, had an amazing dinner during restaurant week, found a random concert in a really awesome found art labyrinth built by a former PCV (freakin cool), ended up in Atlantic City, went to Ocean City, NJ, learned to surf, drove back to Baltimore. I met my college ladies for some fun and had a great time with them, as I always do. Hopefully that all makes sense, if I went into detail you'd be reading a novel, trust me. We also went bowling, I did terrible, it was fun. Another group of people i'm glad I got to see before leaving.




Safari Njema Weekend:
This past weekend I went to a crab feast with some of my family at a nearby fire hall. I ate a ridiculous amount of crabs and consumed a fair amount of alcohol but I had fun and it was nice to get quality time in with the family!
Sunday was my going away party and it rained all day long which forced us to move everything inside which was a real drag since so many wonderful people showed up! For awhile you couldn't hardly move around in our house. I felt bad that people were cramped but I didn't hear anyone complain. Loads of people came, which was great because I know the majority of them I really won't see again until I return to the U.S. You'll all be proud to know I didn't cry at all. I got choked up several times but never did shed a tear which shocked the heck outta me.

This was a "Go, Diego, Go" cake but it looked the most like Africa. Do what you can with what you've got, we threw Diego out and plopped an elephant on top.


Last Day of Work:
Finally, we're up to present day. Hopefully the pictures broke it up a little bit for you all. Today was my last day of work. On my way in I heard "I've got the power" on the radio, I thought it was fitting. All in all, it was a good day, there was drama and competition and cake! It was sad to say goodbye to co-workers as i've grown close with them over the last year and a half or so. Okay, I admit, I cried a little. Overall, i'm glad to be done, I feel like I will really need the week ahead of me to prepare myself as much as possible.

I'm going to stop the torture for now, I think i've written enough. Expect blogs more frequently over the next week... probably tomorrow, maybe tonight if I get real energetic!

If you made it this far, thanks for reading!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment